PhD in Chemistry University of Texas Arlington
The Department offers the degree Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Chemistry which is designed to better prepare doctoral-level chemists to enjoy productive careers in industrial laboratories, research foundations or academic institutions. In addition to the traditional Ph.D. curriculum, this program mandates that the student acquire the working knowledge of the type of research conducted in industry and of the constraints (both practical and philosophical) under which it is carried out.
The student must:
- demonstrate the ability to carry out independent research and
- acquire the practical knowledge of the type of research conducted in industry and of the constraints (both practical and philosophical) under which such research is conducted.
The areas of research include:
- Analytical chemistry
- Bioinorganic chemistry
- Colloid and surface chemistry
- Inorganic chemistry
- Medicinal chemistry
- Organic chemistry
- Organometallic chemistry
- Physical chemistry
- Polymer chemistry
- Theoretical chemistry
In evaluating candidates for admission to its graduate degree programs, the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry emphasizes the preparedness of the student as evidenced by quality and quantity of coursework and the student’s previous research experience. Recommendations from our own faculty, based on firsthand knowledge of the applicant or a faculty member at the applicant’s institution, are also very important.
Unconditional admission may be granted under any one of the following options. The minimum undergraduate GPA requirement for all options is 3.0, as calculated by Graduate Admissions.
A satisfactory completion of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, official transcripts, and GRE scores, and three letters of recommendation.
A satisfactory completion of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, official transcripts, and a letter of recommendation from a faculty member at the applicant’s undergraduate institution, plus a recommendation from a UT Arlington Chemistry and Biochemistry faculty member.
A satisfactory completion of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent, official transcripts, and a letter of recommendation from a faculty member at the undergraduate institution, plus a recommendation from a UT Arlington Chemistry and Biochemistry faculty member based on a face-to-face interview.
An applicant whose native language is not English must submit a TOEFL score of at least 550 or a score of at least 213 on the computer-based test. A TSE-A score of 45 or higher can be substituted for the TOEFL. Those who have completed their undergraduate education in English may be eligible for a TOEFL waiver based on the recommendation letters.
Additional information about admission requirements
- To be admitted to the Ph.D. program, an applicant must satisfy the general admission requirements of the program and his or her academic record must show preparation for advanced work in chemistry.
- A course grade may be used to satisfy degree requirements for no more than seven years after the course has been completed.
- After admission to the doctoral program, the student must successfully complete the appropriate examination(s) required by the faculty of the student’s discipline.
- A supplementary set of guidelines, published by the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, should be consulted.
Tuition and Affordability
UTA Tuition and Affordability Information
Priority Application Dates
Fall | March 15
Spring | August 15
Summer | February 15
Applications are accepted after the published priority date for each term, but for guaranteed consideration of admission please submit the application and associated materials by the priority date. However, it is important to apply well in advance of your intended start date to be eligible for program-specific funding opportunities such as assistantships and fellowships. Keep in mind that departmental application processing times vary greatly and some programs require applications up to one year in advance.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.