PhD in Molecular and Cellular Biology Southern Methodist University - Moody School of Graduate and Advanced Studies
Admission Requirements - GRE Optional
- 3.00 GPA (cumulative)
- Foundational Courses:
- 6 hours of calculus or statistics.
- 16 hours of chemistry including 8 hours of organic chemistry.
- 4 or more hours of advanced credit in biology.
- Transcripts from all institutions attended (post-high school; unofficial documents can be uploaded to your application).
- 3 Letters of Recommendation.
- Statement of Purpose*
- International applicants must provide English Language Proficiency scores if their degree does not meet our waiver requirements.
Admission to Candidacy
Admission to graduate study leading to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy does not constitute formal admission to candidacy for the degree. To become a candidate for the Ph.D. degree, a student must:
- Complete successfully all coursework recommended by the departmental advisory committee.
- Complete successfully a qualifying examination that involves defense before an appropriate faculty committee of a monograph detailing the area of proposed research patterned after a grant proposal.
To obtain the Ph.D. degree in molecular and cellular biology, the candidate must:
- Meet the requirements set forth in the Degree Requirements.
- Enroll for the courses necessary to bring the total number of credit hours of graduate coursework to 60 (as many as 24 credit hours may be waived for students with previous graduate work in the life sciences).
- Carry out a research program under the supervision of the faculty, prepare a dissertation and successfully defend it before an audience that includes the dissertation committee of the faculty.
- Meet a residence requirement of two years as a full-time student at SMU.