PhD in Geology Southern Methodist University - Moody School of Graduate and Advanced Studies
- GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
- A GPA of 3.25 in the major.
- Majors may be in mathematics or other fields of science besides geology.
- Transcripts from all institutions attended (post-high school; unofficial documents can be uploaded to your application).
- 3 Letters of Recommendation.
- Statement of Purpose.
- GRE Scores.
- International applicants must provide English Language Proficiency scores if their degree does not meet our waiver requirements.
To obtain the Ph.D. degree in geology, the student must:
- Successfully pass a general qualifying examination.
- Complete a minimum of three years of graduate academic work (48 credit hours minimum), with at least two years of full-time residence on the SMU campus or at a research facility approved by the departmental faculty and the dean of graduate studies.
- Write and make a successful public defense of a dissertation.
- Satisfy all curricular requirements as specified by the departmental faculty, including:
Graduate Core Courses
- GEOL 6107 - Departmental Seminar (repeated each semester until candidacy is achieved)
- GEOL 6320 - Dynamic Earth I
- GEOL 6321 - Dynamic Earth II
Courses at the 6000-level and above, chosen in consultation with the graduate adviser.
The following courses are available to students throughout the dissertation process, with no more than 12 credit hours counting toward the degree:
- GEOL 8398 - Dissertation Research
- GEOL 8399 - Dissertation Research
- GEOL 8698 - Dissertation Research
- GEOL 8699 - Dissertation Research
- GEOL 8998 - Dissertation Research
- GEOL 8999 - Dissertation Research