PhD in Earth and Environmental Sciences
USD 1,500 / per year *
Earliest start date
* 2020-2021 academic year tuition. Note: you won’t know for sure how much Lehigh will cost you until you apply for financial aid and receive your financial aid notification
The department offers M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Earth and Environmental Sciences. The M.S. degree is thesis-based. Faculty interests and programs center on the Earth sciences, environmental science, and ecology. Research opportunities include both laboratory and field-oriented studies.
- Strong, research-active faculty in Earth sciences, environmental science, and ecology.
- Professional development activities are integral to the Ph.D. program.
- Graduate Students receive departmental funding for professional travel and fieldwork.
- Employment opportunities in the Earth science consulting industry, state and federal geological surveys, and academia.
The EES Department offers a graduate program linked to nationally prominent research in key areas of Earth & Environmental Science. Our internationally recognized faculty work closely with students on their research projects and offer engaging and cutting-edge graduate courses. Active research discussion groups, weekly departmental lunches, and seminars, and an annual graduate student research symposium all facilitate broad discussion, collaboration, and a dynamic intellectual environment.
Why choose Lehigh?
We have a focused, field-oriented graduate program linked to nationally prominent research in key areas of the Earth system. In this time of increased focus on multidisciplinary science, we think our program is a great way for you to get your graduate training and credentials. Our well-funded, well-connected faculty tend to work closely with a few students at a time on their research, something that can be lacking in large programs. Graduate work in EES is marked by:
- Personalized attention.
- Focused, well-funded research groups.
- A diverse intellectual setting.
- Easy access to cutting-edge equipment.
- Attention to career development.
- Good chances for a job after you graduate.
Whether to attend graduate school, what to study, and where to go are important questions. You should make a careful decision and tailor your choice to your needs, goals, and interests. You really do have lots of options available to you, and they can seem overwhelming, but the good news is that you can probably find a program that's a good fit. As you look through this web site you'll see that we've got some very interesting research going on in many areas of ecology, environmental science, and geology, and we offer both the Ph.D. degree as well as a rigorous, thesis-based M.S. If that sounds good, consider joining us for your graduate work!
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.