PhD in Mathematical Analysis, Modelling and Application International School for Advanced Studies (SISSA)
Purpose of the Ph.D. Course
The aim of the Ph.D. Course in Mathematical Analysis, Modelling, and Applications is to educate graduate students in the fields of mathematical analysis and mathematical modeling, and in the applications of mathematical and numerical analysis to science and technology. The goal is to enable PhDs to work as high-level researchers in these fields in universities, research institutes, and private companies.
The activity in Mathematical Analysis is mainly focused on ordinary and partial differential equations, on dynamical systems, on the calculus of variations, and on control theory. Connections of these topics with differential geometry and reduced order modeling are also developed.
The activity in Mathematical Modelling is oriented to subjects for which the main technical tools come from mathematical analysis. The present themes are multiscale analysis, mechanics of materials, micromagnetics, modeling of biological systems, computational fluid and solid dynamics and problems related to control theory.
The Applications of Mathematics developed in this course are related to the numerical analysis of partial differential equations and of control problems. This activity is developed in collaboration with MathLab for the study of problems coming from the real world, from industrial and medical applications, and from complex systems.
Main research lines:
- Calculus of Variations and Multiscale Analysis
- Conservation Laws and Transport Problems
- Geometric Control Theory and Sub-Riemannian Geometry
- Mechanics of Materials and of Biological Systems
- Nonlinear Analysis
- Numerical Analysis
- Systems Biology
The most recent placements after Ph.D. at SISSA:
- Ecole Polytechnique (Palaiseau, France),
- University of Oxford (Oxford, UK),
- California Institute of Technology (Pasadena, USA),
- Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh, USA),
- Hausdorff Center for Mathematics (Bonn, Germany),
- Rutgers University (USA),
- Universität Zürich (Zürich, Switzerland)