Ph.D. in Romance Literatures Charles University Faculty of Arts
The language of instruction is English.
For all information about the study programme and admission procedure conditions see THIS PAGE.
Applications can only be submitted electronically using the form provided HERE.
What is the admission process for this programme?
- Contact a dissertation consultant (you can find a list of consultants according to your chosen study programme HERE) and send him/her your dissertation proposal for review.
- Submit your application for study via THE ONLINE FORM
- Applications can only be submitted until 30 April!
- In late May/early June, you will receive an Invitation to the entrance examination via the same system in which you applied.
- At a specified time in June, you will take an entrance exam. The entrance exam is oral. The maximum number of points you can score on the exam is 60. If you have a total of 30 points or more, you have a chance to be admitted - but you need to be within the expected admission number for the programme.
- In July, the admission procedure is evaluated, and the information about its result is sent to all applicants.
- Candidates who are successful in the admission procedure are subject to NOSTRIFICATION. This means that they must provide evidence of their previous Master's degree according to the conditions listed HERE.
- Those who have properly documented their previous education and language skills may attend the enrolment in the study, which takes place in September.
Scholarships and Funding
Full-time doctoral students will receive a scholarship, which is usually supplemented by other sources of income, e.g. awards for participation in grant projects or remuneration for teaching undergraduates.
For information on governmental scholarships, please visit the website of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport (https://www.msmt.cz/eu-and-international-affairs/scholarships). Further, you may consult the following website: https://www.studyin.cz/plan-your-studies/scholarships.
Other Ph.D. scholarships can be found at: https://www.cuni.cz/UKEN-72.html and http://www.cuni.cz/UKEN-68.html
Program Tuition Fee
The Ph.D. graduate in the Romance literature is a highly qualified specialist trained to conduct research work in his/her field (the literature of one or more Romance-speaking areas). He/she is able to analyze the literature of the chosen Romance-speaking area in a qualified manner, applying a synchronic or diachronic approach and with a view to modern literary methods and research procedures. His/her specialization is based also on the knowledge of the general theory of literature, the basis of the comparative literature, and literary criticism with a special view to the chosen Romance-speaking area. The graduate is entitled to apply for a position in an academic environment (universities, research centers, etc.); with his/her language skills and broad erudition, the graduate may be employed in cultural institutions, the media, diplomacy, etc.