Study PHD in Australia 2023/2024
Basic monthly living cost
Rent in a shared flat776
Share of utilities61
Sample lifestyle cost
Fast food combo9
Pint of local beer6
For all programs of study, you will need to apply for a subclass 500 student visa.
The Special Category visa (subclass 444) is for New Zealand nationals who wish to study in Australia.
What type of Visa do you need?
Price and currency
The current fees in order to apply for a student visa are set to $560 AUD (~400 €). The price is always the same no matter the length of your studies. Please note that this price may vary depending on the location where you apply for your Student Visa (Australia or onshore).
Who can apply for the visa?
Anyone enrolling as an international student on a course lasting four months or more in Australia will need a student visa. In order to apply for an Australian student visa, you must have an unconditional offer of place at a university, have accepted that place in writing and paid the required tuition fee deposit. The program you choose must be between 12 and 52 weeks in order to be eligible for a student visa.
Where can you make the application?
This subclass 500 visa must be applied for using the online system.
How to make the application?
Before applying for a visa, you will need to obtain a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) or a Letter of Offer confirming that you have been accepted into a course registered under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions of Courses (CRICOS).
When completing your online visa application form, you will need to provide evidence that you meet:
- Financial requirements - the amount you need to prove you have for living costs (separate from tuition and travel) is set at AU$19,830 (~US$15,170) for a year. Alternatively, you can show evidence that your spouse or parents are willing to support you and that they earn at least AU$60,000 (~US$45,850) a year.
- English proficiency requirement - If you’re not from an English-speaking country (and haven’t completed at least five years’ study in an English-speaking country) you’ll need to prove you can speak English to the required level with IELTS, TOEFL iBT, Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic, or Cambridge Advanced English (CAE).
- Health requirement - Some students may be asked to take a medical and/or a radiological check-up to show they are in good health (this applies, for example, to those who intend to train as a doctor, dentist or nurse). Except those from Belgium or Norway, all students are obliged to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
- Character requirements - Australian student visa requirements stipulate that you must be of good character to enter Australia. This includes a criminal record check.
Typically, students must submit the following:
- Completed Australian student visa application form (157A)
- Paid visa application fee – currently AU$550 (~US$420 in most cases
- Copy of passport biodata page (some students may be asked to physically provide their passport)
- Certificate of Enrolment or Letter of Offer
- Evidence of sufficient funds
- Evidence of health insurance cover
- English proficiency test results
- Criminal record check results
- Four recent passport-sized photographs
After you have assembled and scanned your supporting documents, you’ll need to create an account and apply with the online ‘ImmiAccount’ application system: https://www.border.gov.au/immiaccount.
When should you apply?
You can only make an application for an Australian student visa after you have received a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from your chosen university.
Most visa applications take four weeks to process. The student visa duration depends on the program you choose. If you study in Australia for a course that is longer than 10 months and finishes at the end of an Australian academic year (usually mid-December) your visa will usually be valid until 15 March the following year. If your course is longer than 10 months and finishes in January to October, your visa will usually be valid for two months following the completion of your course.
You can renew your Student Visa as many times as you want, as long as you are enrolled in a course approved by CRICOS.
You can enter Australia on your student visa up to 90 days before your course starts. Within seven days of arrival, you must inform your education provider of your resident address, and also inform them within seven days if you change address.
While on a student visa, you may work up to 40 hours per fortnight during term time, and full-time in the holidays. Work that is a formal, registered part of your course is not included in the limit. If you’re studying a master’s by research or a Ph.D. you do not have any work restrictions.
Hours per week
Why do you need this type of visa?
Your student visa application may be rejected, among other things, if you provide incorrect or incomplete documents, or if you do not meet the necessary financial, character, or health requirements.
- IPAG Business School
- University of New England
- University of Sydney - Online
- University of Sydney
- Edith Cowan University
- Australian Graduate School of Leadership
- Queensland University of Technology
- Australian Academy Of Music And Performing Arts (AMPA)
- JMC Academy
- The University of Sydney