PhD in Physics
The graduate physics program at Koç University is carried on by our world-renowned faculty who specialize mainly in quantum theory and optics. All the research laboratories are state-of-the-art. We publish papers in top journals on quantum gravity and astrophysics, atom-photon interactions, Bose-Einstein condensates, lasers, and photonics. We admit mostly PhD students with full-scholarship. The MS program without thesis is recently introduced and may appeal to those who are not going to pursue an academic career. All our graduate students find the opportunity of close everyday contact in research with the world-class faculty. We encourage them to take courses from the other program as well so that they can broaden their interests. We also get this way some of the brightest students at the university coming to the physics classes. Our graduates mostly continue as post-docs at the best universities in the world and eventually go to academic life. Others have no difficulty in finding jobs in business or industry.
- Research areas of interest
- Photonic & Laser Materials
- Quantum physics, gravitation
- Quantum optics, atomic, molecular and optical physics
- Statistical mechanics of biophysical systems
Items listed below are only for applicant's information.
- Personal and Educational Background Information (CV)
- 3 Recommendation Letters
- TOEFL or UDS&KPDS Requirement (for those whose native language is not English)
- New Internet-Based: Minimum Score 80
- Computer Based: Minimum Score 213
- Paper Based: Minimum Score 550
- UDS / KPDS: 87
- ALES scores (required for all Turkish nationals)
- GRE scores (required from foreign students; optional for Turkish students)
- Official transcripts from all the universities attended
- Statement of Purpose
- Areas of Interest
Students admitted have the following offer:
- Tuition waiver (55,500 TL/year) plus 1, 800 TL monthly stipend. The monthly stipend increases to 2,200 TL after the student passes the PhD qualifier.
- All students receive a laptop computer and private health insurance.
- Students with successful standing receive travel funds to attend scientific conferences and meetings.
- PhD students with higher GPA degrees may be offered super scholarship up to 3,000 TL .
- Students who receive their stipend from other sources (like TÜBİTAK scholarships or externally funded research grants and projects) are eligible for the following benefits provided by the university:
- Research Award for MSc students: 2000 TL
- Free Housing: This includes all costs except telephone expenses.
- Research Award for PhD students: 1,500 TL/year after they pass the qualifier.
Program taught in:
See 14 more programs offered by Koc University - Istanbul Turkey »
This course is